Saturday, March 4, 2017

Psalm 40

This rather long psalm is a messianic psalm that foretells the death of Jesus. This psalm is also quoted many times in the New Testament (mostly in Hebrews). In the very first verse we see David crying out to the Lord and He answered. This represents our need for a savior and the Father answers us by sending Jesus !

Now remember this was written in the time of the law which means animal sacrifices. Then why does David say, " Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; My ears you have opened. Burnt offerings and sin offering you did not require. Then I said," Behold I have come; In the scroll of the book it is written of me...""  (Verses 6 and 7) ?  Here David is talking about the love God has for His people ! He knows we need saved but burnt offerings is not what we need nor is it what He wants. He will send His Son as our sacrifice to be nailed to the cross (My ears you have opened). David even mentions "The book", this is talking about the book of life that has all the names of Gods people who have been saved. (Revelation).

"Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;..." (verse 16)  and again, " But I am poor and needy; Yet the Lord thinks upon me. You are my help and my deliverer; Do not delay, O my God." (verse 17) Throughout this psalm David is talking about needing and getting a savior and how much he needs one. ( Don't we all !!! ) Then in the last 2 verses he comes right out and says how needy he is and that God is the only one who can save him. God is his deliverer and he is yours also !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment