Saturday, July 22, 2017

Psalm 61

Psalm 61 was most likely written when King David was on the run from his own son, Absalom, who was trying to take over the kingdom. Once again, David follows the pattern of dividing his psalm into three distinct parts: 1) David cries out to God, 2) David's confidence in God, 3) Davids commitment to God.

The very first verse shows Davids cry to God," Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to you..."  This announces his intention and wish and prayer that he intends for this psalm !  He intends on crying out to God from any where in the world.  Davids confidence in God can be seen in verse 4 where he says, " I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings." David uses phrases that are familiar to us that show his intention. "Abide in your tabernacle" tells us that David will live by Gods every word and live in Gods house. "trust in the shelter of Your wings" tells us that no matter what the outcome is for David...He will trust that God is in charge and David will abide by what ever Gods decision is ! Lastly, Davids commitment to God can be seen in in the very last verse," So I will sing praise to Your name forever, that I may daily perform my vows." David is telling God that no matter what His answer is to his cry, David will spend every day for the rest of his life praising God and living out his life for and according to Gods will.

No comments:

Post a Comment