Saturday, February 18, 2017

Psalm 38

This is a very unusual psalm in that the WHOLE psalm is David repenting to God for his sin !!  Why so unusual ?  There is no pattern of worship....there is David acknowledging who God is and what He can do but no worshiping !!

This psalm is called Prayer in time of chastening.In this psalm we also learn another spiritual truth and that is that disease of our bodies is caused by sin. " There is no soundness in my flesh because of your anger, nor any health in my bones because of my sin." (Verse 3) It is plain to see that David is writing this psalm as he is a very ill man. In this psalm he confesses to God of his sin and the connection of sin and disease. He is begging God for mercy and tells God how his disease will and has affected all of those around him. " My loved ones and my friends stand aloof from my plague, and my relatives stand afar off. Those also who seek my life lay snares for me." (verse 11) David continues to beg for mercy and ask God to relent from chastening him. In the last verse of this psalm, David lays it on the line," Do not forsake me, O Lord;O my God, be not far from me ! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation !"

No comments:

Post a Comment